At 13,988 ft., Grizzly Peak is the tallest 13er in the state and a regular on many ski mountaineers spring tick list. Dirk and I found it in pretty good shape last Thursday.
Technically, Grizzly falls in the Sawatch Range and not in the Elks but with popular access beginning a short way up Independence Pass on the Aspen side, it feels pretty local.
If you put together a list of the ten tallest mountains around Aspen you would see the names of the six Elk Range 14ers, three Elk Range Centennial peaks, and Grizzly. And with Thursday’s descent on Grizzly I’ve made ski descents on all 10 peaks this spring.
I think it’s time to officially call it done. It was a great season.
- South Maroon https://stuckintherockies.com/?p=20
- North Maroon https://stuckintherockies.com/?p=22
- Snowmass/Hagerman https://stuckintherockies.com/?p=19
- Pyramid/Castle https://stuckintherockies.com/?p=10
- Cathedral https://stuckintherockies.com/?p=13
- Grizzly – you’re reading it
- Capitol http://www.tedmahon.com/14ertripreports/capitol.htm
- Thunder(slideshow) http://www.tedmahon.com/photogalleries/thunder/index.htm